Blurry Numbers is an easy-to-learn, competitive drinking card game. If you like UNO, you’ll love this game. The objective of Blurry Numbers is simple: place a card that is one above, one below, or the same as the number in the discard pile until you have no cards left in hand.
BUT, there’s a twist! Each card offers a different outcome that can be used strategically to ensure your victory and, more importantly, make your opponents drink.
What You Need
- A deck of Blurry Numbers cards
- Your favorite alcoholic drink
This game can be played with 2-9 players. Each player is dealt 7 cards.
To begin the game, the dealer places one of their 7 cards in the discard pile, and the game continues in a clockwise direction. Players attempt to place a card that is one above, one below, or the same as the number played before them in the discard pile.
For example, if the last number played is a 5, you can play either a 4, 5, or 6.
If you have no playable cards, you draw a card from the draw pile. You can place that card immediately, if it happens to be playable. Otherwise, you hold on to it, and the the game continues with the next person.
Keep in mind, you can play a wild card at any time regardless of the number in play. If you play a wild card, you choose the new number, and the next player plays off the new number. For example, you could decide your wild card is a 3. The player after you must now play a 2, 3, or 4.
The 3 Different Card Categories
- Number Cards – These cards have specific instructions or challenges that target one player or the entire group.
- Golden Number Cards – Each number (1-9) has one golden form in the deck. They contain the most difficult challenges in the game and target a single opponent. If the player denies a challenge from the golden number cards, they take a shot as punishment!
- Wild Cards – These cards allow you to change the number in play to any number. There are 4 types of wild cards. The shot, the shot blocker, the switcheroo, and 5 miscellaneous cards that can result in your opponents taking multiple drinks. These cards add strategy to the game and can be used to help you win.
How To Win Blurry Numbers
Each round ends once a player has no cards left in hand. Whoever is left holding cards must tally up their points based on the scoring chart on the rule sheet. After 3 rounds, the player with the least amount of points is declared the winner, while the person with the most points is the loser and concludes the game by taking a shot.
Why You Should Try Blurry Numbers
We asked Austin, the creator of Blurry Numbers, to share what makes this game so great. Here’s what he had to say:
- First, a drinking game should be fun and have every player involved whenever possible to keep the group entertained. Blurry Numbers does this by having cards with instructions that target players throughout the game.
- Second, these games should be easy to learn and quick to play in order to receive the most out of your drinking experience. Blurry Numbers is a simple game that typically ranges from 30 to 60 minutes and involves both strategy and luck.
- Third, drinking games should be competitive. Our game has a clear victor and a clear loser. The loser is punished by taking a shot after a long game of drinking, so everyone plays to win and competes to avoid taking that final shot.
- Finally, providing a reasonable amount of drinking is crucial to the entertainment of a drinking game. Thankfully, Blurry Numbers encourages players to limit their drinking based on their alcohol tolerance and does not force any player to drink when unable to do so.
Where To Get Blurry Numbers
Check out the Blurry Numbers website to purchase your deck of cards!
As always – be safe, drink responsibly, and make sure everyone has plenty of water!